Topic Search

INTRO

Untold lives of woman, is a woman's journey on the path life has set her on.
A blog about factors that affect the lives of women and where you can find inspiration.
The Un edited side of "life ".Where there is beauty in imperfection and knowing that through the support and wisdom we share with each other .We will help improve not only our own lives but the lives of generations to come.

Friday, March 3, 2023

PERIOD SHAMING


The menstrual cycle is a series of natural changes in hormone production and the structures of the uterus and ovaries of the female reproductive system that makes pregnancy possible. The ovarian cycle controls the production and release of eggs and the cyclic release of estrogen and progesterone. The uterine cycle governs the preparation and maintenance of the lining of the uterus (womb) to receive an embryo. These cycles are concurrent and coordinated, normally last between 21 and 35 days, with a median length of 28 days, and continue for about 30–45 years.

My daughter just turned 10 and was learning reproduction and her homework was for me to explain to her how babies are made and to explain the female reproductive cycle.

First things first . We had this conversation before very vaguely it started from a bird delivering a baby to the door . To a seed growing in my belly and coming out vaginally ( because I had explained to her about a vagina) but now I had to explain to her in depth.

A part of me morned a little because she's now clearly not my tiny princess but a pre teen as she likes to remind me. She's excited about becoming a teenager and getting her period. 
My first reaction was honey there's nothing exciting about your period especially because or cramping and I felt my words start to become negative so I took a deep breath and told her to let me think about how to explain it all .

Why you ask. Well I'm from the generation where sex was called 'bad manners' . Where your mother danced around the topic and avoided it for you to learn about most of the basics in school. Where you are told it is your secret and nobody should know you are on your period . Whereboys are encouraged to explore their sexuality but women are told to hide in shame not even look or touch themselves. Also my Muslim back ground where you are considered unclean.

So you can imagine I had to choose to break the cycle and approach the subject with love. Match her excitment , educate and still let her know that sexual assault and rape is also a reality.

About a week before . The country had been shocked with a senior government official walked into parliament in a white suit stained with period blood. See she wanted to create awareness and that she did. Sparked a debate and a conversation after being asked to leave parliament.
Outrage how dare she!

I read a quote that said, "Tradition is peer pressure from dead people."  And I thought what truth. We should be proud of our heritage but we should also know that we are living in different times. The old rules can't apply in an era where our experiences are different than those experienced by our forefather's/mother's.

We are the new generation and we need to choose to raise the next Generation loving everything that makes them feminine and teach our boys to champion for women's rights.

It starts with us as mothers and if we don't change the thought processes of our children when they are young we will have the same shame and patriarchal society we hate now.

See my next post on how the woman's cycle is linked to the moon and about how to embrace your devine feminine energy.





Search This Blog